Are you desperate to get rid of ants fast? Then you need an easy solution that’ll kill them with a quick spritz of spray. But what about granules and bait stations, you ask?
They’re great too, but won’t stop ants running off with your picnic basket. Ant sprays deal with the ants there and then, disrupting trails and stopping ants, quite literally in their tracks.
The best ant spray is the EcoRaider Ant Killer.
What is Ant Spray?
Ant sprays are a good option for killing ants on contact. And they’re used as a barrier and repellent to keep them away. The best ant sprays on the market also have a residual effect, which carries on working long after it’s been sprayed.
You can choose an ant spray that targets a specific species of ant, or go for one that kills several different types. Some are highly toxic, while others use natural ingredients. These are a good option if you have children, pets, or other small animals in the home.
In other words, whatever your needs, personal preference, or budget, you’ll find a spray that works for you.
What to Consider Before Buying an Ant Spray
Finding an ant spray isn’t difficult, there are hundreds of products to choose from. The real challenge is knowing exactly what to look for. The type of ants you’re dealing with, whether it’s indoors or outside, how quickly you want to get rid of the infestation, and your budget are just some of the things to keep in mind.
But what else do you need to consider?
The Type of Spray
There are two types of spray available, one kills ants on contact, and the other leaves a residue that kills them for an extended period. If you know you’re only dealing with a few scouts on the lookout for food and a nice place to stay, the on-contact spray will do the trick. But if it’s an infestation you’re wanting to get rid of, then a residual spray will be more effective.
Do You Have Children or Pets in Your Home?
If you have children or pets in the home, an important consideration should be the level of toxicity of the spray. Heck, even if you don’t, it’s worth keeping in mind. Some insecticides are highly toxic and will kill all types of insects, and even infect the water in fish bowls or ponds.
And then there’s ongoing exposure to the spray, which can be dangerous. If the ants are inside, then a spray that’s safe to use around children and animals is a better option. Read the label and follow the instructions carefully.
Does the Spray Have an Odor?
Some sprays are odorless or only have a slight smell, while others are pretty pungent. Knowing where you’re going to be using the spray will help you decide which is best. Obviously, if you’re spraying in the kitchen or living area, you’ll want an odorless one.
Does the Spray Stain Surfaces or Fabrics?
This might not be top of mind when you’re choosing an ant spray, but it’s worth remembering. Some residual sprays are strong enough to stain countertops and fabric, so again, depending on where you’re going to be using it, check the product label for information.
How Easy is it to use?
It’s worth considering how easy the product is to use when buying. Some, although extremely effective, have to be mixed before use, and need the right equipment to apply it. These sprays are best for professionals who have the know-how and the tools.
Is it Value for Money?
Price is always important, but that’s not the only thing. A slightly more expensive product might save you money when you look at how many applications are in a bottle and how long each one lasts. Doing it this way will help you figure out whether the product you’re buying is good value for money.
9 Best Ant Sprays Reviewed
Let’s take a look at our top 9 sprays. We have included natural options, as well as chemical-based ones, and they range in price from super affordable to a little more expensive (but with a more permanent outcome).
1. Orange Guard Home Pest Control
Orange Guard Home Pest Control isn’t only safe to use around children, pets, and food. It’s also EPA registered, which means it’s environmentally friendly. The water-based ant spray is made from orange peel extract and kills ants as well as cockroaches, spider mites, fleas, and aphids on contact.
We like that it can be applied to your pet’s bedding if that’s where the ants are and also in pantries and your kitchen. The only negative, although it’s not a dealbreaker, is that this isn’t the best option if you’re wanting to get rid of an infestation.
- It’s an effective spray that’s safe to use around children, pets, and food
- It’s EPA-registered, so you know it’s environmentally friendly
- It kills on contact
- It gets rid of ants, as well as silverfish, cockroaches, fleas, spider mites
- It’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use and works well as a perimeter spray
- The poison isn’t carried back to the nest
- It’s a little more expensive than the other sprays on our list
2. Cedarcide Original Spray
Cedarcide Original is considered to be one of the best natural ant sprays currently available on the market. It’s suitable to use indoors as well as outside and isn’t harmful to children or pets. It’s got a pleasant cedar smell, and even though it’s a residual spray, it doesn’t stain or leave greasy messes.
The eco-friendly ant spray gets rid of common household pests, including ants, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks. And better still, it works on all stages of their life cycle, even the eggs.
- Cedarcide Original can be used indoors and outside and kills common household pests
- It works on all stages of an insect’s life cycle, including eggs
- It’s environmentally friendly and safe to use around children and pets, as well as on them (the pets, not the children)
- The cedar scent is pleasant
- It’s one of the more expensive products, but we think it’s excellent value for money
3. EcoRaider Ant Killer
Non-toxic and eco-friendly is music to our ears. EcoRaider Ant Killer can be used indoors as well as outside, and it gets rid of a whole lot of bugs, including ants, gnats, midges, lice, fleas, mosquitoes, moths and flies. It’s also entirely safe for use around adults, children, and pets (sorry, you’re going to have to find something else to get rid of the typical household pest known as the ‘mother-in-law’).
This ant spray works quickly, and the remaining residue acts like a barrier for up to four weeks, which is a real bonus. It’s easy to use and doesn’t require any mixing or diluting. It dries quickly, doesn’t stain surfaces, and even for an outside spray, the odor isn’t overpowering. All in all, this is a real winner and one that comes highly recommended.
- It’s effective at killing most pests including ants, midges, lice, fleas, flies, and moths
- The spray is environmentally friendly and safe to use around children and pets
- It’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- The residual spray kills bugs for up to four weeks
- It’s easy to use
- Some users have mentioned that the spray mechanism doesn’t work well
4. Talstar 3/4 Gallon Pros Pest Control Insecticide
Talstar Pest Control Insecticide is what the pros use, so for severe ant infestations, you should too. But keep in mind that this spray contains bifenthrin, which means it shouldn’t be used indoors or around children and pets. Best described as a three-in-one solution to bug problems, Talstar kills, repels, and also acts as a barrier. And the residual spray works for up to three months.
It’s not the most straightforward product to use, and you will need to buy a multi-purpose sprayer separately to apply the pesticide, but that shouldn’t put you off. Also, although it’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use, we recommend only using it outside because of the toxicity level.
- It’s a three-in-one pesticide that kills, repels and acts as a barrier
- The residual poison works for up to three months
- It can be used for commercial and non-commercial purposes
- It’s not pre-mixed, and some users have mentioned it’s difficult to use
- It’s an expensive option, but we think worth every penny
5. Terro Ant Killer Spray
Terro Ant Killer Spray does what it says on the box, and it does it well. We like that this spray kills on-contact, but also has a residual effect that lasts up to six weeks. Although it’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use, it’s got quite a strong odor, so we wouldn’t recommend you using it in the kitchen, pantry, dining room, or lounge areas. And definitely not near children or pets.
Because of the long-lasting residual effect, Terro Ant Killer Spray also works well as a repellent and barrier to prevent reinfestations.
- The on-contact spray works quickly
- It’s straightforward to use
- The residue kills ants and other bugs for up to six weeks
- The spray works as a repellent and barrier to stop reinfestations
- The spray has a strong odor
- It’s not safe to use around children or pets
6. Ortho Home Defense
If you’re looking for a ‘kick-ants’ spray that kills ants for up to 12 months at a time, then you might want to consider Ortho Home Defense. It works on more than 130 of the most common household insects, including ants, and because it acts as a barrier, it stops future reinfestations. The one-touch continuous spray means your hand won’t get tired from pumping it, and it’s really easy to use.
We like that this powerful spray has no odor, won’t stain surfaces or fabrics, and doesn’t make a mess. But take note, if you’re looking for an on-contact type poison, this isn’t the best option.
- The spray effectively kills bugs for up to 12 months after applying it
- It’s odor-free, and won’t stain fabrics or surfaces
- It can be used all over the house, including inside and works on more than 130 different types of bugs
- The one-touch spray mechanism makes applying it easy
- It needs to be used with caution around children and pets
7. Cutter Backyard Bug Control Spray
The perfect spray for your backyard, Cutter Backyard Bug Control Spray can be applied by simply attaching it to your hose. It doesn’t get much easier than that, does it? Although it’s lethal for all kinds of bugs, including ants, it’s perfectly safe to use around pets and children, and won’t harm plants or flowers.
It’s odor-free and doesn’t stain, and best of all, the residual effect keeps killing ants for up to 12 weeks. It’s also affordable, which is always a bonus, and the fact that just 32 ounces cover as much as 5,000 square feet makes it excellent value for money.
- It’s safe to use around children and pets
- The spray is easy to use, simply attach it to your hose and spray
- There’s no odor, and it won’t damage flowers or plants
- The residual protection keeps killing ants for up to 12 weeks
- It’s an affordable solution that works really well
- It’s only suitable for outdoors and shouldn’t be used inside
- It needs to be reapplied after heavy rain
8. Mdxconcepts Organic Home Pest Control
Mdxconcepts is a brilliant organic ant spray that’s safe to use around your family, including children and pets. It’s also eco-friendly, which is a huge plus. The spray kills on contact but also works as a repellent that can be used indoors as well as outside.
Made using natural products such as rosemary, peppermint, and spearmint, in an oil-based formula, Mdxconcepts can be sprayed with confidence in the kitchen, pantry, living rooms, and bedrooms. We like that the residual effect carries on killing ants after you’ve sprayed, and the pleasant odor also acts as a repellent.
- The product is non-toxic and safe to use around children and pets
- It’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- It kills ants on contact and also works as a repellent
- Some users don’t like the residual the spray leaves
9. Wondercide Pest Control Spray
Another really good organic product you should consider is Wondercide Pest Control Spray. It effectively gets rid of ants and other pests, including wasps, mosquitoes, fleas, and spiders. Made with natural ingredients that aren’t harmful, the spray can be used in the kitchen, your pantry, on sofas, carpets, and even your pet’s bedding.
It works quickly, killing ants fast, and you don’t need to worry about it staining surfaces, furniture, or clothing. Unlike some ant sprays, the scent is pleasant, and you can choose from lemongrass, peppermint, rosemary, or cedar.
The downside to the spray is that it’s not a permanent solution, but it’s definitely a top choice when you’re trying to get rid of ants in your pantry, but don’t have the time to worry about it being used near food. It’s also one of the more expensive options, but worth every penny when it comes to your family’s safety.
- The spray is made from organic, natural ingredients that are safe to use around children and pets
- It kills ants as well as other common household pests
- It’s good value for money
- There are four scents to choose from
- It costs a little more than other natural sprays
- The product isn’t suitable as a long-term solution for serious infestations
Which Is Best?
That’s a tough one because all the products we’ve reviewed here are really good and do what they’re supposed to. But if we have to pick our absolute favorite, it’s got to be EcoRaider Ant Killer.
This environmentally friendly ant spray works indoors as well as outside, and it’s safe to use around children and pets. It kills the most common household pests, including ants, fleas, mosquitoes, flies, midges, lice and gnats. And each application has a residual effect that carries on working for up to four weeks.
You don’t have to worry about it staining any surfaces or furniture, and there’s no overpowering odor. We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again, this is a real winner in every sense of the word, and gets a big thumbs up from us.