With all the products on the market, finding the best mouse bait in 2019 can be a real challenge. However, it doesn’t have to be. With the right information, a well-informed purchasing decision becomes much easier.
In this buyer’s guide, we’ll not only explain how to choose the best mouse bait for your household, but we’ll also review several of the best baits on the market so you don’t have to spend your precious time comparing two-dozen potential-buys.
- Tomcat Mouse Bait Pail (Top Pick)
- Ramik Mouse Bait Bucket
- ProTecta RTU Mouse Bait Stations
- Just One Bite II Bait Cakes (2nd Choice)
- D-ConMouse Poison Bait Stations
What Is Mouse Bait?
Which product is the best mouse bait in 2019 is a decision only you can make for you and your household. Just as every home is different, every brand’s mouse bait also vary in design and composition. From organic cakes to pails of poison pellets and buckets of chemical-based nuggets, there is no shortage of mouse bait varieties.
Depending on how bad your mouse problem is, or if you’re simply trying to prevent developing one, the range of mouse bait available is staggering. That’s why In the following three subheads we’ll explain how to choose mouse bait, use mouse bait, and the precautions for using mouse bait.
What to Consider Before Buying Mouse Bait
Before making a final purchasing decision, there are several important aspects of mouse bait that you should be aware of. Ease-of-use, chemical.composition, and safety just to name a few of these considerations.
Some types of poison are easier to use than others, a factor you should consider before making a purchase. Depending on the sort of mouse bait that you buy, the best method for using it will vary.
Some mouse bait needs to be sprinkled or placed in hard to reach places, others come with secure traps for the bait to be placed in. Some baits even require being mixed with real food, like cheese or peanut butter. At any rate, you should purchase mouse poison only that you’re comfortable working with.
The chemical composition of mouse bait varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. That said, most mouse bait chemical compositions fall under one of the following three categories
- Anticoagulants: chronic, single-dose, and multiple-dose poison that kills rodents within 1 to 2 weeks by thinning their blood and causing internal bleeding (diphacinone, chlorophacinone, and warfarin,)
- Metal phosphides: a strong single-dose poison that kills rodents within 1 to 3 days of ingestion by creating toxic internal phosphide gases (zinc phosphide)
- Hypercalcemia: kills rodents at different speeds depending on level of dosage, small doses cause kidney and stomach failure and larger doses turn the insides of rodents into stones (cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol)
All things considered, if misused, regardless of exact chemical composition, mouse bait can be extremely dangerous. If ingested by pets or children, some bait may even be fatal. Make sure to read and follow the exact directions for each type of mouse bait you purchase and use. Also, read the warning label as well.
The smell of mouse bait is one of the most crucial aspects to consider pre-purchase. As with most animals, most rodents rely heavily on their sense of smell to lead them to food sources.
The stronger, and more realistic, your bait smells, the better results it will have at attracting and killing rodents. Make sure to check each mouse bait you consider purchasing for its smell.
The lifespan of a product is typically one of the most important factors to consider before buying it. Mouse bait is no different. Due to various ingredients, such as baits that include real human-food, some bait lasts longer than others.
Be sure to find out how long each type of mouse bait lasts before it needs to be replaced (or have something fresh and smelly added to it).
Safety is perhaps the most important thing to consider when selecting the best mouse bait for your household. If you have pets and young children, this factor increases considerably.
Here are several more precautions to keep in mind whenever using or storing mouse bait:
- Store excess baits in a locked and secured area such as a garden shed (away from children and pets)
- Place mouse bait only in locations children and pets can not access
- Always read labels and warning
- Never store (or even place temporarily) near food, including pet food
- Properly dispose of dead mice immediately to avoid poisoning other wildlife
5 Best Mouse Bait Reviews
To make your mouse bait purchasing decision easier, we researched dozens of products and reviews only the best of the best. We based our decisions on customer reviews, retail and manufacturer ratings, product descriptions, our own in-depth research and more.
Here’s our list of the best mouse bait products to purchase this year:
1. Tomcat Mouse Bait Pail
As advertised by the manufacturer, Tomcat, this mouse bait is “tougher than a barnyard cat for controlling rats and mice.”
In addition to being tougher than a barnyard cat, it’s also tastier than most mouse baits on the market. This is no surprise as it consists of human food-grade ingredients as well as flavor enhancers.
The Tomcat Mouse Bait Pail includes 22 3-ounce packs of mouse bait. It takes 4 to 6 days for the bait to kill rodents that’ve ingested the poison.
- Produced by a reputable manufacturer
- Comes with a large quantity of mouse bait
- Tastes and smells better than other baits
- Customers claim it causes better results than many other mouse baits
- It takes up to 6 days for the bait to kill rodents
- Allows mice to hide after ingesting bait
- Some customers claim the mouse bait is not potent enough
- Others claim that it is like a real food source for rodents
2. Ramik Mouse Bait Bucket
The Ramik Mouse Bait Bucket is another choice that gives you a large quantity of mouse bait with a single purchase. Specially formulated with the typical wax found in competitor mouse bait products, Ramik’s bait is long-lasting and has extremely high palatability for rodents.
Ramik’s Mouse Bait is a first-generation anticoagulant product and consists of 0.005 percent diphacinone. Thus, it is practically irresistible to rodents and retains its fresh-scent and sweet flavor longer than other types of mouse bait.
This bucket comes with 20 pounds of high-grade mouse bait in the form of half-inch nuggets. The full effects of the bait require approximately 5 days to work.
- Includes 20-pounds of half-inch nuggets
- Keeps its freshness of scent as well as its flavor for a longer time than other brands
- Consists of diphacinone
- Does not include wax
- It is a newer type of mouse bait
- May take up to 5 days for rodents to die after ingesting bait
- Many customers said their rodent-problem was not impacted by the product
3. ProTecta RTU Mouse Bait Stations
ProTecta’s RTU Mouse Bait Stations are probably the most high-tech and unique selection to make our list. These little triangular bait stations fit perfectly into hard to reach corners and crevices that mice frequent in search of food. Once the mice find their way into the trap, enticed by the bait’s sent, their fate is sealed and the deal is done.
Made from heavy-duty materials, including special injection-molded pieces, these traps are more than just tough. Furthermore, they are perhaps the most kid-friendly option on our entire list as well. The traps are tamper-resistant, meaning they automatically lock when closed and require a key to be unlocked. This locking-feature makes them perfect for households with children or pets.
- Well-known bait-trap that’s been around since the early 1990s
- Easy to hide design that locks
- Traps are quick and easy to refill with fresh bait
- Fit flush against most rodent entry-holes in your home
- The black non-see-through lid
- Sometimes comes without a key
- Bigger dogs can chew through the bait stations
- In some cases mice may be able to remove the bait from the station
4. Just One Bite II Bait Cakes
Another name that perhaps doesn’t get enough credit, in the mouse bait industry, is Just One Bite. For example, this package of Just One Bite II Bait Cakes, which includes 8 4-½-inch x 6-inch x 1-inch 16oz blocks of bait (or “cakes”).
The bait cakes are long lasting and effective against most species of rodents. Most results occur within 4 to 5 days of feeding. These cakes of mouse bait work so well, if you live in California, you may want to check if any protected species such as the Golden Mouse, Meadow Vole, or Cotton Rat are present in your area (as it is illegal to kill them).
- Works on numerous species of rodents
- Designed for use indoors as well as outdoors
- Each cake can be broken down into several smaller pieces
- Customers claim that Just One Bite products worked better than popular brands
- Isn’t as large as pails or buckets
- Bait has to be broken up by hand
- Dangerous to neighborhood wildlife
5. D-ConMouse Poison Bait Stations
Without a doubt one of the most commonly known mouse bait names in American households is D-Con. That said, D-ConMouse Poison Bait Stations are known to be among the best products on the market. They’re perfect for eliminating rodents in homes, basements, garages, attics, and outbuildings.
The tamper-resistant design keeps your children and pets safe from harm when you’ve set these bait stations out. Furthermore, their sleek and low-profile design allows them to be easily stuck out of sight and left to do their job. They’re also small enough to fit into tight spaces and odd angles.
- Made by one of the most trusted mouse bait manufacturers
- Child-proof and pet-resistant as well as being disposable
- Safe to use in any room or area of the house
- Begins killing in as little as 3 days
- Intended for indoor use only
- Small design and amount of actual bait
- May leave dead rodents in hard or impossible to reach locations
Which Is Best?
With all of the great choices listed above, the task of choosing the best mouse bait in 2019 should be much less complicated. No matter your circumstances, we’re sure we’ve listed a perfect selection for everyone.
Tomcat Mouse Bait Pail is our number one choice for several reasons besides the fact that it’s produced by a well-known and trusted brand. It also includes a larger amount of bait and yields better results than most brands (according to customers).
For those who don’t have such a rodent issue, and won’t require such a large amount of bait, the Just One Bite II Bait Cakes are just as suitable as an option (they just come with less bait than the Tomcat Pail).