Are there rats in your backyard?
While the idea of getting rid of them is promising, the actual process can’t always be easy-peasy.
But don’t worry because outdoor rat traps will come to your rescue.
In this article, we’ll go over what they are and what you need to consider before buying them. Plus, as the title suggests, let’s look at the best outdoor rat traps on the market.
The Kensizer Live Cage is the best outdoor rat trap.
- 1. Kensizer Live Cage (Top Pick)
- 2. Kat Sense Cruelty-Free Rat Trap
- 3. Bell Labs Tamper-Resistant Bait Station
- 4. RatzFatz Catch and Release Cage
- 5. AUTENS No-Kill Rat Trap
What is an Outdoor Rat Trap?
An outdoor rat trap is a device that helps you catch rats in your backyard, front lawn, or any area outside of your home. There’s barely a difference between a rat trap that you can use indoors and a rat trap for outdoor use.
After all, an outdoor rat trap looks no different than the indoor rat traps. Plus, both devices work using the same principle: use bait to catch rats then get rid of them.
Then again, it’s not advisable to use any type of rat trap and just leave it outdoors. Rather, go with a rat trap that explicitly says it’s good for outdoor use. And because it has to be waterproof, electric-powered traps are out of the picture.
That, and it should be safe to place outdoors even if your kids, the elderly, and your pets tend to roam around that area.
What to Consider Before Buying Outdoor Rat Traps?
The safety of your kids, the elderly, and your pets is an important consideration that can impact your decision as to which outdoor rat trap to buy. But while it might top your list, it’s just one factor.
To help you decide better, you need to keep other important points in mind, too. This way, you won’t end up unsatisfied with your purchase. Here are the factors you need to consider:
Quality Of Construction
An outdoor rat trap has to be made with quality if you’re after an effective rat-trapping process. So check if trusted manufacturers are behind the trigger system and other parts. You don’t want its pieces easily getting damaged even before the process begins, do you?
This device should also help you get rid of at least one rat. If you don’t choose a quality outdoor rat trap, this might not happen. And you could end up frustrated with the whole process.
Rats, after all, are very challenging to catch. They’re clever and they move quickly. They reproduce fast, too.
Size And Number Of Rats You Plan To Catch
If you see plenty of rats wandering around the outside of your home, it’s a great idea to consider a multi-catch outdoor rat trap. This device can reel in multiple rodents in one go. A setback, though, is that it can only catch small rats.
Beyond that, it’s also best to consider going with multi-catch rat traps if you don’t want to check these traps’ contents daily. After all, checking to see if your traps have decaying rodents every day can be a chore.
On the flip side, you might want to stick to a single-catch outdoor rat trap if you don’t see a lot of these long-tailed rodents outdoors. An advantage is that the device tends to be more effective at catching large-sized rats.
Is The Trap Humane Or Not?
Getting rid of rats means catching them then taking them out of the picture. How you take them out is up to you.
If you choose to get rid of them fast and easy, you should consider going with single and multi-kill outdoor rat traps. Because these devices are designed to kill the captured rats, you should clean them after each use. Otherwise, they’ll leave a foul smell behind.
But if you don’t want to resort to fatal means, then the catch-and-release systems are yours for the taking. Once a rat or two is caught in these traps, just go to a forest, an abandoned lot, or a far place where you can easily release them. And unlike the kill systems, you have no foul smell to worry about with these devices.
How Easy Is The Trap To Use?
Another of the most important factors to consider when shopping for the best outdoor rat traps is how easy (or hard) they are to use. Some traps are much easier to use than others. That said, some traps may be easier to use but less effective at catching or killing rats. Make sure to do your research before purchasing a rat trap.
How Much Does The Trap Cost?
The cost of a rat trap, of course, is an essential tid-bit to consider pre-purchase as well. And, with so many traps on the market, prices fluctuate wildly. In general, you get what you pay for, however, so cost indeed matters. Quality of construction, warranty options, and more are included in the initial costs of any given trap.
Does The Trap Require Bait?
Some traps require bait. Others simply require being placed in the right positions to do their job effectively. All things considered, traps with bait do tend to attract more rats. However, traps with bait, especially baits using food-grade ingredients, used improperly end up feeding the population instead of wiping it out. There is also the factor of the on-going cost of need to replace bait every so often to consider.
5 Best Outdoor Rat Traps Reviews
The next step is to learn about the specific outdoor rat traps available. And the best way to get the ball rolling is to check out the reviews.
Doing so gives you the necessary information about the products. Plus, it lets you weigh the pros and cons, too.
Let’s get to them, shall we?
1. Kensizer Live Cage
The Kensizer Small Animal Live Cage Rat Trap comes with a high-sensitive trigger mechanism. So even just a little bit of movement can cause the door to lock automatically and start trapping the rats. This is the best outdoor rat trap for those who wish to catch and release rodents (and not kill them).
The Kensizer Small Animal Live Cage Rat Trap consists of high-quality materials including an aluminum frame. Also, the trap is easy to use and set up, requiring zero tools or mechanical know-how.
- Its lightweight aluminum structure (0.5 lbs. for medium traps; 0.8 lbs. for large traps) makes it easy-to-carry
- Because of its sturdy and durable build, the rats won’t easily damage the wire mesh
- No need to use screwdrivers and other tools for setup
- Its humane approach lets you easily release the trapped rats any time
- Its high-sensitive design can cause the cage to close before the rats can enter
- Requires about 4 inches space above it for its trigger system to function properly
- Even in medium (10.5 x 5.5 x 4.5 inches) and large (12 x 6.5 x 5 inches) sizes, you can’t use it to trap big rats
2. Kat Sense Cruelty-Free Rat Trap
Another safe pest control alternative to glue and poison is what the Kat Sense Cruelty-Free Live Capture Rodent Cage offers. Beyond that, it caters to the increasing number of consumers who want a quick, effective, yet humane rodent control solution.
As far as the best humane outdoor rat traps go, there are few that come with better recommendations from customers than the Kat Sense Cruelty-Free Live Capture Rodent Cage. Even Peta approves of this particular rat trap!
- Its clever design makes it a lovely gift for animal lovers
- It features an integrated bait cap, which makes it more attractive and effective
- PETA and other animal rights organization praises its humane approach of eliminating rats
- Its small (7.1 x 5.4 x 4.9 inches) and large (9.9 x 6.2 x 3.9 inches) sizes aren’t enough for big rats
- Its opaque plastic material can get bitten by the rats
- Because of its poor ventilation system, the rats can suffocate
3. Bell Labs Tamper-Resistant Bait Station
What sets Bell Labs’ Bait Station apart from other outdoor rat traps? It’s an enclosed system that prevents you from getting a glimpse of what’s going on with the trapped animals. Plus, it’s designed with dual entrances that hold bait blocks.
The Bell Labs Bait Station is clearly one of the best outdoor rat traps currently available on the market. It’s easy to use, highly-rated, and lightweight. Furthermore, it comes with multiple stations, and is tamper-resistant, which makes it great for use outdoors even if you have children or pets.
- At one pound, it’s lightweight and easy-to-carry
- It features a tamper-resistant system, which prevents unauthorized access to its contents
- It features a solid lid that lets you capture the rats discreetly
- It can complicate matters for beginners in rat control
- Its dimensions are 11-⅜ x 10-¼ x 3-½ inches, which prevents big rats from entering
- Its enclosed system can quickly suffocate trapped rats
- Its structure is made of plastic, which can get easily damaged by rats
4. RatzFatz Catch and Release Cage
The RatzFatz Catch and Release Live Cage is a high-effective human rat trap. It features a sensitive trigger system that makes it work just right for most consumers. Because its system is not too sensitive, it can’t easily be triggered by accident.
Catch and release cages, like the RatzFatz Catch and Release Live Cage, are growing more and more popular due to the fact that they work, and they don’t harm the surrounding environment. Sure, they take longer to control pest populations than kill traps, but they are long lasting, rarely ever needing replaced, and safe to use practically anywhere.
- Because it’s engineered from galvanized iron, its structure is corrosion-resistant and durable
- At 2.25 lbs., it’s lightweight and easy-to-carry
- Because it’s designed as a metal cage with holes, the trapped rodents are kept well-ventilated
- No need to use screwdrivers and other tools for setup
- Its dimensions (12.6 x 5.1 x 5.1inches) don’t allow it to handle big rats
- It doesn’t feature a handle that keeps you from getting bitten when transporting the trapped rats for release
- Rats can easily destroy its trigger mechanism
5. AUTENS No-Kill Rat Trap
What makes the AUTENS No-Kill Rat Trap stand out are the abundant air holes in its design. It’s unlike other humane outdoor traps that feature limited air holes. Instead, it ensures that the rats stay well-ventilated despite getting trapped.
Produced from high-quality and long-lasting ABS, this trap will never need replaced. It also required zero tools and mechanical knowledge to put together and set into place. If you want to trap rodents, and relocate them versus exterminate them, AUTENS No-Kill Rat Trap is a great choice.
- It features a durable ABS material that the rats can easily destroy
- At one pound, it is easy-to-carry
- No need to use screwdrivers and other tools for setup
- It doesn’t feature an easy exit to help release the trapped rats
- With its dimensions (8.3 x 6.6 x 3.2 inches), it can’t trap big rats
- The rats can access the bait from the outside
Which Is Best?
When it comes to selecting the very best outdoor rat trap on the market, the answer varies depending on the size and nature of the pest problem. However, we believe the Kensizer Live Cage is the best of the best. It’s high-quality construction, lasts forever, and accommodates even the largest of rats.
On the other hand, if you prefer to trap and kill, Bell Labs bait station is the way to go. With six individual stations, and plenty of bait to go-round, your outdoors rat problem will be cut down to size real fast.