Yesterday I gaze outside through the open curtains and spotted clusters of small, light-colored dots on the window screen. When I examine them closely, I find that they resemble tiny moth eggs, possibly numbering in the hundreds.
So, how to get rid of these moth eggs on window screen?
The easiest way to remove Moth eggs is to wipe them off with a damp cloth soaked in soapy water. A vacuum cleaner can also be used to sweep back and forth over the window screen.
You can also kill these eggs by spraying vinegar over them. Furthermore, you can scrub the window with a soft bristle toothbrush that has been dampened.
For a complete understanding of the methods, read the entire article. In addition, you will find a section on prevention.
4 Amazing Methods of Eradicating Moth Eggs on Window Screens
The process of eradicating moth eggs may seem complex. Fortunately, this disturbing situation can be easily resolved. You’ll learn some fantastic methods for removing moth eggs easily in this section:
Method 1: Soapy Water
This is the most common process of eradicating moth eggs from window screens. You need some materials to do this.
Required Materials: Hot water, liquid soap, a bucket, and a cloth.
Now follow the steps given below to perform the job of removing moth eggs:
- First, pour warm water into a bucket or container and add mild liquid soap. Make a sudsy solution by mixing the soap with water.
- Now, dampen the cloth with the solution. Then, gently wipe the screen to remove the moth eggs. To remove all the eggs, wipe in all directions.
- Once the screen is clean, you should wipe the window with a damp cloth to remove any soap residue. Finally, use a clean towel to dry the screen.
Method 2: Vacuum Cleaner
You can use a vacuum cleaner to remove moth eggs from a window screen. To do this follow the steps below:
- First, make sure your vacuum cleaner has a brush attachment or a soft brush accessory. The window screen will be protected while the eggs are effectively removed.
- Then, sweep the vacuum cleaner slowly and steadily across the screen.
- Finally, you need to dispose of the vacuum bag or canister contents in a sealed container once you finish vacuuming.
Method 3: Spray Vinegar
For removing moth eggs from the window screen, you can use vinegar spray. It is an effective method to get rid of this kind of irritation.
Required Materials: Dilute vinegar and one spray bottle and a cloth.
To use vinegar to kill moth eggs, simply follow the steps given below:
- First, fill a spray bottle with equal parts water and vinegar.
- Then, apply the solution directly to the eggs to kill them.
- Now, allow some time for letting the solution sit on the eggs.
- Finally, use a dump cloth to wipe away the solution.
Method 4: Use A Toothbrush
The following steps will show you how to use a toothbrush to remove moth eggs from window screens:
- First, choose a soft-bristled toothbrush. Soft-bristled toothbrushes will help you avoid damaging your window screen.
- Then wet the toothbrush bristles with some water. To prevent excessive moisture on the screen, make sure the toothbrush is not too wet.
- Now, gently brush the screen where the eggs are located. Make small circular motions to dislodge the eggs with light pressure.
- Finally, dispose of the eggs in an appropriate pale or kill them with Chrysanthemum moth spray.
Why Moth Eggs on Window Screen?
Moths usually lay their eggs toward the end of summer or early fall. So, during this period, Moth egg patches may appear on your windows, doors, and other parts of your house.
Also, the type of light coming through your windows might attract moths to lay their eggs on your window screen. Then the type of vegetation around your home can cause the moth to lay eggs on your window screen.
Not only moth eggs you may also encounter spider eggs on your window screen. Using traditional brooming or vacuum cleaners can also help you clear out these nasty eggs. Using Ortho home defense or home defense max is also a preventive measure against spider and moth eggs.
Further, female moths are attracted to windows by light, where they may lay eggs or leave their scent. Usually, the strong female moth scent attracts male moths from a distance. It leads to larger populations and the possibility of mating and laying eggs on windows.
If you leave it untreated, this can cause huge disturbance and damage to the surrounding. So, eradication is important and it’s vital to prevent further damage.
How to Prevent Moth Eggs on Window Screens?
Prevention is better than cure, right? So, here we will shed light on some ways to prevent moth eggs from appearing on a window screen:
- Always keep the windows and screen fully clean and free from debris and dirt.
- Your home’s exterior should be sealed with caulk or weatherstripping. It doesn’t matter how small a crack or hole is, moths can get into your home. So, you should know some amazing ways to air-seal your house.
- You should use screens with a smaller mesh size.
- Installing netting on doors and windows.
- You should hang moth repellents like cedar wood or lavender sachets close to the window
- You can use bifenthrin or other common pesticides. Bifenthrin kills bedbugs, along with moth larvae, and spider eggs.
- Try to remain extra vigilant during the end of the summer and early fall.
It is essential to follow these prevention methods strictly if you do not want to suffer from moth eggs.
Do moths lay eggs in curtains?
Yes, Moths lay eggs in curtains. In fact, it’s one of their favorite place to lay eggs. Also, they love to lay eggs under sofas. Female moths are attracted to these materials as they provide a suitable environment for their eggs to hatch and for the larvae to feed.
Are moth eggs harmful?
Usually, they are not harmful. However, if you accidentally consume these eggs it might harbor harmful bacteria or toxins that can lead to food poisoning. If you encounter vomiting or diarrhea after eating contaminated food, seek medical attention immediately.
Is moth dust poisonous?
The dust found on the wings of moths is not toxic or poisonous. In general, they are harmless but can cause irritation to the eyes and skin. You may feel further discomfort if you have allergies due to these scales. So, you need to be cautious and take appropriate measures if you encounter something like that.
I hope you’ve found out the ways to eradicate moth eggs on window screen. You should remove moths and their eggs as soon as you notice them.
Also, you must take proactive steps to prevent a persistent or recurring infestation. If you cannot handle the situation on your own, you may need the help of a professional.